Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Guild Wars 2 Concept Art - December 9, 2009




This new art for an upcoming sequel to Guild Wars was released quite a while ago, but I completely forgot about it until I ran into it again today. The original game had beautiful works of concept art, as well as the final products, and many of the artists even won awards for their talent. The art director, Daniel Dociu, was named a Gold Award winner in the fourteenth annual Spectrum competition. That shows the immense amount of talent they have upfront, not to mention what they've had lurking behind the scenes for years. Kekai Kotaki has worked his way up from Texture Artist all the way to Lead Concepts Designer, and his work in that second picture shows why. It seems as though with many of their pieces they're going for an epic feel. Everything seems so grand in scope, and the enemies more threatening than they've ever been. Things also seem to be more dire than ever as well, with most of the pieces showing some sort of destruction or chaos taking place. Really they're just beautiful, all of them, I don't really know how to describe them because I've never really cared much for art but these literally made me go out and buy their concept art book just to read WHY they were made that way. It's the first time I've looked at a piece of art and thought more than "Oh, that's really cool looking", it made me want to learn more about it, which means quite a bit to me. Hopefully it all transitions into a 3d environment wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment